10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 oranges; 3 zested and juiced, 1 sliced
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
1 x 2kg lamb shoulder with foreshank attached, bone in
¼ cup (90g) honey
6 fresh figs, halved
¼ cup (35g) shelled pistachios, roasted, roughly chopped
1. Combine garlic, orange zest, cumin and sea salt in a small bowl. Score lamb shoulder, place in a greased roasting pan and rub with spice mixture.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to 3 days. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
3. Preheat oven to 120C (fan-forced). Uncover lamb, season with pepper, cover with orange slices and roast for 7 hours, basting with pan juices occasionally, until lamb is browned and pulls apart with two forks.
4. Transfer lamb to a platter, reserving pan and its juices, cover and keep warm until serving.
5. Increase oven to 200C (fan-forced). Place figs in reserved pan, drizzle with honey and cook for 20 minutes or until softened and glazed then pour over orange juice.
6. Season lamb with salt and pepper and serve warm with roasted figs, drizzled with pan juices and scattered with pistachios.
Tip: If time allows, marinate lamb shoulder for up to 3 days before cooking.
© Angela Nahas 2018, www.angelanahas.com.au. All rights reserved.