This delicious recipe is brought to you by Sydney Meats
2.5 - 3 kg single turkey breast, skin on, bone in
- 1/2 tsp salt
Small bunch of fresh herbs - 4 rosemary sprigs, 8 sprigs sage, 10 thyme sprigs
12 garlic cloves, smashed with side of a knife
150 g unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 tsp table salt or 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp finely chopped sage, fresh
1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary, fresh
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, fresh
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley leaves, fresh
1. Take turkey out of the fridge 45 minutes before cooking (or 30 minutes if it's super hot where you are).
2. Preheat oven to 200C (all oven types). Put the rack in the lower middle position. Place garlic and bunch of herbs in the middle of a baking dish.
3. Butter: Mix Butter ingredients together.
4. Use an upside teaspoon to help loosen the skin from the turkey flesh (easiest to go under the paper thin layer under the surface skin). Video helpful here.
5. Use about 2/3 of the butter, and smear it under the skin on the top half of the breast. Best to smear using hands under the skin (not on the surface), to ensure it spreads as evenly as possible.
6. Turn turkey upside down. Reserve about 2 tbsp butter on the surface, smear the rest on the underside.
7. Place turkey in pan on the herbs, skin side up. Now smear skin with remaining butter - you don't want much on the skin because the herb bits burn.
8. STOP HERE for make ahead - the turkey can be left like this for up to 24 hours. Remove from fridge 45 minutes before serving then proceed.
9. Sprinkle top and sides of breast with salt and pepper all over. Place turkey in the oven, turn DOWN to 180C.
Roast for 1hr 30 minutes, basting all over every 30 minutes. (Note 5)
10. COOK TIME / INTERNAL TEMPERATURE: The turkey is cooked when the meat thermometer inserted at the thickest part is 74C/165F. I check in several places. My 2.8 kg / 5.5lb bone in turkey took 1hr 40 minutes.
11. COVER turkey with foil when it becomes golden to your taste, at any point during the cook time (1hr 15 minutes for me).
12. Remove turkey from pan and place on serving plate. Cover loosely with foil and rest for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
13. The pan will have melted butter and roasting juices. Remove herbs and garlic, squeezing out juices. Pour sauce into a jug, serve with turkey.