1.8kg whole chicken, cavity washed and dried
60g butter, at room temperature
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
12 sage leaves, finely sliced
1 onion, thickly sliced
12 chat potatoes, halved
90g (2/3 cup) dried cranberries
4 slices prosciutto, chopped
5 slices stale bread, chopped
½ small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
½ bunch sage leaves, finely chopped
1. To make stuffing, place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until needed.
2. Preheat oven to 175C (fan-forced). Rub chicken skin with salt and pepper. Using your fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken to form a pocket.
3. Combine butter, garlic and sage in a small bowl and season well. Spread half the butter mixture evenly under skin pocket formed. Place stuffing firmly in cavity and secure cavity closed with kitchen string.
4. Place onion slices in the bottom of a roasting pan. Place chicken, breast-side up, on onion slices and spread remaining butter mixture evenly over chicken skin.
5. Place potato halves around chicken and roast for 1 hour, basting chicken with pan juices occasionally and turning potatoes. Increase oven to 200C and cook for a further 20 minutes or until chicken is golden and juices run clear when pierced with a skewer.
6. Remove from oven, cover with alfoil and set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
7. Serve chicken with roasted potatoes and drizzled with pan juices.
© Angela Nahas 2018, www.angelanahas.com.au. All rights reserved.